Friday, May 30, 2014

Share Your Stories

Hi Readers!

The #YesAllWomen movement has really touched me.  The point of the movement (that’s what I’m calling it now…because, hello?!) is to show people (men and women, alike) that #YesAllWomen are faced with misogyny at some point, in some way. That #YesAllWomen fear the possibility of sexual violence. #YesAllWomen have a story. #YesAllWomen have stories that MATTER.

In my last post, I shared a few stories from my own life. These are memories that I wish I didn’t have. No, I have not been a victim of a larger sexual crime. But that’s not the point. The point is, that no matter how “small” a story may seem, it’s not small. It’s HUGE. All of the instances of women being made to feel as if they owe a man their body, the butt-pinching, the guilt-trips for saying “no,” the harassment for having big boobs (or small boobs) matter. They all matter. Every single one.

So here’s my proposal:

What if we shared our stories with one another? With the world? What if we told our stories and had supportive friends there to tell us, “hey! That’s bullshit!” What if we put our stories out there and let society know that words hurt, that sexual advances are not always welcome, that a slap on the ass isn’t a compliment? What if we shared the small stories and the big stories so that everyone can see that the behavior shouldn’t be considered “normal?” What if these stories helped someone? WHAT IF?

I am teaming up with FUSE (Feminism, Unity, Strength (in numbers), and Equality) to get these stories out in the open and create a new awareness. FUSE is a group dedicated to “empower[ing] women to control and enrich their lives by establishing an online presence to educate and organize…where open dialogue is encouraged and each…contribution is valued. To evolve[ing] from patriarchy so equality and independence thrive.” I couldn’t ask for a better group to host these stories. I just know that the amount of support and unity will be overwhelming. You should totally go “like” their facebook page, We Are FUSE.

I will be posting new stories (anonymous or not!) to my blog each Friday (“Feminist Fridays,” HOLLA!). Please feel free to submit any, I mean ANY, stories that are relevant. Remember: EVERY STORY MATTERS. You matter. Your feelings matter.

Please submit your stories to:confessionsofawannabeshare@gmail.com

 


No comments:

Post a Comment