Friday, February 22, 2013

friday faves: the poop pod edition

After much (and I mean much) deliberation, we have finally settled on a combination of newborn cloth diapers for Avery! I know, I know - this is soooo not exciting for most of you. But do you know how many choices are out there? It's insane! There are literally so many different options that I don't think I even got a chance to look at half of them. So yes, I am extremely excited that we have finally picked the things that we are going to purchase for Avery to do her business in.

In the beginning, I was flip-flopping between cloth diapering and disposables: we decided to do disposables, then 28 weeks came and I decided I wanted to do a combination of cloth and disposable, now we are all in for cloth diapering (for the most part - daddy may use disposables when going out, and Gramma Ash says she's willing to cloth diaper at her house when she watches Avery (!!!) but will use disposables when going out as well).

So last night (after a mini meltdown about being overwhelmed with diaper choices) Seth and I sat down and talked about and researched what we thought we each would be most comfortable with. Price is definitely a huge factor for us - we would like to be at around $200 for all the newborn diapers and accessories (accessories can be used throughout the entire diaper-bound baby time though).

This is what we have come up with and we plan on ordering soon after our baby shower (next weekend! eeeeeek!):

1 & 2. Newborn Indian prefolds package.

This package comes with 24 newborn prefolds and 4 diaper covers - we have a choice between Thirsties and Bummis (or a combo).for the covers and are choosing the combo so we can try out both kinds as we have no clue what will work best on our little girl. The package is $74.99 - that's a good deal considering covers can get crazy expensive (upwards of $20 a piece for some!).

I thought the prefolds would be scary for Seth, but he is totally prepared to give it his best - and I think he'll do just fine :)

3. Fitted diapers.

Seth loves this option, especially for when he's still in cloth diaper training mode. The fitted diapers have snaps on them so they function like a prefold, but you can actually snap them closed instead of having to pin or snappi (more on those in a bit) them together.

We are planning on getting 5 of these as they cost $5 per diaper - not too bad, but definitely not as cheap as prefolds!

4. Proraps newborn diaper covers.

We decided that only 4 diaper covers are not going to cut it for us - we hate doing laundry and if we can extend our laundry business to even every other day as opposed to every day, we are happy campers.

These diaper covers were highly recommended by our friend Ashley, and at only $7.99 a pop on Amazon, we will be treating ourselves to 4 of these little guys, making our diaper covers a total of 8.

5. Snappis.

These hold the prefolds together when they are on your kid. Kinda essential. They are a cool alternative to actual pins - they have little teeth (like an ace bandage closure) and stick right into the cloth without potentially stabbing you or your baby.

We are getting a 3 pack because I will probably lose at least one at some point. I may order some actual pins too though - they seem a little more secure to me and I wouldn't mind trying out both.

6 & 7. Pail liners and wet bag.

Um, we need a liner for our diaper pail - actually 2 (as Ashley so kindly reminded me) for when one is in the wash. Less trash bags? Yes please!

I also need a wet bag that will fit in my diaper bag for those stinky used diapers when we are on the go.

8. Rockin' Green laundry detergent.

Last, but definitely not least, we need some detergent to wash those stinky poop pods! Again, Ashley recommended this brand to me and I trust her judgement. It also helps that we live in the same area, with the same city water so whatever works in her wash will most likely work just fine in mine too!

No comments:

Post a Comment