Monday, February 25, 2013

the birds

No, not the Hitchcock movie - I'm talking about the birds that are now flying over my little girl's crib.

I actually bought this set for my sister a while ago - she's in college and needed something to spruce up her boring room, so I found these and gave them to her as a gift...but they didn't stick to her wall very well. Since then, they've just been hanging out in a bag in my parents' basement...until now.

Like I said in my last post, Avery's nursery is meant to be an experience for her - with things to learn from and objects that carry some meaning (like vintage storybooks that used to be her Gramma's when she was little!). These little birds surprisingly have some meaning of their own!

My sister and I have matching tattoos (for the most part - Amanda (as always) added some flair to hers with a dandelion transforming into the birds). We decided to get them after her 18th birthday and it honestly took us a while to figure out the perfect design - we have different personalities and styles so it was pretty awesome when we finally agreed on a design. We chose bird silhouettes to go on our rib cages: 5 little birdies that fly with us and represent our family - Amanda, me, mom, dad, and our "brother" Buster (who had just been put down due to old age and depleted quality of life...tear). For me, at least, my birds remind me that I will always have someone "flying" with me - someone to talk to, to go to in times of need, and someone to watch over me. I think my sister thinks the same way about her birds.

So I am sharing this design with Avery in her nursery - she will have her very own birds watching over her as she sleeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment