Thursday, February 7, 2013

so ya got the diabeetus...

Diabeetus. You know, like the guy in the commercial with the mustache? Anyone? Ok.

Well, I found out on Monday that I have gestational diabetes...and its Thursday now. I mentioned in my previous post that I was super serious about doing whatever it takes to keep this from affecting my baby and my birth plan and so far its been working out great!

I thought I would post the food regimen that I've been following since Tuesday morning - with all the details - in case there's someone out there that would find it helpful. And hey, its a pretty great preggo diet to follow even if you don't have GDM!

I think the problem was that I was eating way too many carbs and sugars in the first place. I thought I was being relatively healthy, but in the end, my body just doesn't need that much sugar. Here is what I was eating (pretty regularly) as of Monday:

Breakfast: Grapefruit, Yoplait cherry-pomengranate Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup Bear Naked berry granola.

Snack: Banana

Lunch: 1/2 peanut butter and jelly sandwich on 1 piece flax and fiber bread, 1 cup Amy's lentil soup.

Dinner: Cesear salad, 1/2 cup Near East parmesan couscous.

Snack: (this was after I heard my glucose results, so not really normal) protein shake - 2 tbs Aria vanilla protein powder, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk.

After doing some research, here is what I've been eating the past few days (with normal blood sugars as a result - I started taking my blood sugars on Tuesday night (goal sugars - under 120 2 hours after each meal and between 60-95 fasting)):

Tuesday:
Breakfast: Protein shake - 2 tbs Aria vanilla protein powder, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, generous handful spinach, 1/2 banana, 1cup frozen raspberries, 1tbs flax meal.

Snack: 1cup miso soup.

Lunch: Ezekiel sprouted grain English muffin with 1 smashed avocado and 1 tbs chimichurri, carrots and hummus, protein shake - 2 tbs Aria vanilla protein powder, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk.

Snack: handful raw almonds.

Dinner: chicken enchilada soup, 1 square Endangered Species 88% dark chocolate. (BS 2 hours after was 83)

Snack: 1 piece Ezekiel sprouted grain bread with 1.5 tbs peanut butter, Protein shake - 2 tbs vanilla protein powder, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk

Wednesday:
(Fasting BS was 75)

Breakfast: Protein shake - 2 tbs vanilla protein, 1cup unsweetened almond milk, handful spinach, 1/2 banana, 1 cup frozen tropical fruit, 1tbs flax meal. (BS 2 hours after was 64 - a little too low)

Snack: 1 piece Ezekiel sprouted grain bread with 1.5 tbs peanut butter.

Lunch: Ezekiel sprouted grain tortilla with 1/2 can tuna mixed with 1 avocado, sprinkle of cheddar cheese, Vanilla protein shake. (BS 2 hours after was 95)

Snack: 1 square 88% dark chocolate.

Dinner: 2 eggs scrambled with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, 4 pieces turkey Bacon, 1 piece French toast on flax and fiber bread with 1 tbs syrup. (BS 2 hours after was 96)

Snack: Apple with 1 tbs peanut butter and 1 tbs nutella mixed together (YUM)

Thursday:
(Fasting BS was 75)

Breakfast: Cinnamon drip coffee with 2 tbs skim milk and 1/2 pack splenda (note: this is rare - I have coffee MAYBE once every other week), Protein shake - 2 tbs vanilla protein powder, 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1/2 banana, handful spinach, 1 tbs flax meal, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk. (BS 2 hours after was 82)

Snack: 1 cup miso soup.

Lunch: Eziekiel sprouted grain tortilla with mashed avocado mixed with 2 tbs mango peach salsa, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and domains lettuce, chocolate protein shake. (BS was 95 2 hours after)

So that's where I am right now! I know that was a bit lengthy, buy hopefully helpful to anyone who needs it!

No comments:

Post a Comment