Friday, March 8, 2013

homemade natural spa night

Last Friday night I decided that I wanted to treat myself to a little spa night. You see, my baby shower was on Saturday and my mom had gotten her hair and nails done and my sister had her hair done...and I didn't get any upgrades (poor me...literally). So I decided that some free, homemade spa stuffs was right up my poor ass's alley.

First, I whipped up a facial mask that was supposed to help clear up blemishes (per a random Pinterest pin). The only ingredients were honey and oatmeal - yum! I added 2 tablespoons of oats to 2 tablespoons of honey, mixed it together, and slathered that shit on my face. It was really hard to not want to eat what was on my face - also, the honey that was above my top lip kept melting and dripping from my lip into my mouth. It was delicious. I'm not sure if this mask actually did anything (it did make my face a little tingly and reddish looking after - in a good way - so it must've done something) but it was fun to make myself and feel like I was luxuriously relaxing in a spa.

Second, I need a hair cut...badly. Like, I haven't had my hair cut since right after my wedding. And that was in 2011. Yes, you read that right. So, needless to say, I have more dead ends than a cul-de-sac in a zombie apocalypse.

Did you know that coconut oil is the solution to everything? Well it is. So I put some in my hair. Too much actually, oops. I melted about 3 tablespoons when I really needed about one and a half. I then spread the melted oil throughout my dry hair and combed it to make sure it worked all the way through, from root to tip. I slept that night with my oiled hair in a bun on top of my head...a shower cap would probably be a good idea on this situation, but I just made sure I washed my pillow case after. The next morning, I rinsed my hair really well and washed it then dried it. My hair felt fabulous after and I noticed that some dead ends had healed! I had a bit of an oily hair issue, not bad enough for others to notice, but I noticed. I would recommend doing this treatment no more than one time a month.

(I actually did my hair first then spread the mask on my face, I have no clue why I decided to write this in the order that I did. Ignore it, please)

After all that prepping, I took a long bath with lavender Epsom salts, which I could probably consider an addiction now. I'm taking like 2-4 baths a week. It's just so relaxing and smells so good that I can't help it. Look, I know that there is this rumor out there that pregnant women aren't supposed to take Epsom salt baths, but its just not true. Soaking in salts can help decrease pain and swelling and totally relax the body making sleep easier. There is magnesium in Epsom salts which pregnant bodies actually need more of, so absorbing it through soaking in water is a-ok. The warnings are for the ingestion of these salts - you can buy a saline solution that is used as a laxative and can cause side effects that could actually induce labor - you don't want that, especially if you aren't full term yet. If you don't believe me, I got my information here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/135147-epsom-salt-pregnancy/

I totally recommend treating yourself to a spa night every once in a while (and take pictures of yourself smiling creepily with oily hair and shit on your face, it's fun I swear). I probably treat myself too often, but hey, at least I'm not spending all my money on the real thing (although I really wish I was).






No comments:

Post a Comment