Friday, March 29, 2013

operation baby expeller: plan of attack

As of yesterday, Avery and I were officially full term baby and mama. This may sound like just another tired pregnant woman complaining but I'm ready for this kid to get out of me. As far as discomfort goes, it's not too bad, that isn't the problem (although I do have itchy skin ALL OVER MY BODY). My swelling legs, ankles and feet are a bit disconcerting, but manageable. I'm mostly just really excited to meet our little lady - and wanting to avoid induction at all costs.

With the gestational diabetes (under control ), swelling, and a borderline high blood pressure yesterday, I am a bit concerned about what more time being pregnant means for our birth plan. I'm already looking at being pumped with antibiotics during labor ( 1 in 3 women are positive for group b streptococcus...and wouldn't you know it? I'm one of them!). I really want to try to have this birth go as naturally as possible - and I know things don't always go according to plan, but since when is having a goal a crime?

I also realize the importance of baby cooking until she's good and ready to come out and meet the world. My mommy intuition tells me that she's ready though. I feel as though I wouldn't feel as ready as I am unless I had some inner peace of mind that she is as ready as I am. This may sound like complete BS to you, but I feel that there is something to be said for the connection between mama and the baby in her belly (we ARE literally connected).

So in an effort to get this kid outta me in a safe, natural way before the docs decide to shoot me up with pitocin, I've compiled a plan of attack:

1. Walking - I'm starting to walk more while at work (even though my ankles are swollen) and even taking the stairs up to my office (at a very slow pace, of course). I also have a girl date coming up tomorrow to walk around the mall.
2. Acidophilus probiotics - with my GBS diagnosis and impending round of antibiotics, I want to make sure I don't get a yeast infection or thrush after delivery (yeast infection after delivery would be absolutely miserable for one, and secondly, thrush would be painful and possibly a hinderance to my breastfeeding goals).
3. Evening primrose oil capsules - these will not start labor as is commonly thought, but will help to soften my cervix and get it ready to dilate. I will be taking them both orally and vaginally (to get more direct benefit). I've read that some women take these and have super easy labor with minimal to no tearing - if that isn't a good enough reason to try this, I don't know what is.
4. Red raspberry leaf tea - just drinking this can help prepare my uterus and cervix for labor.
5. A drive down a bumpy road - Seth is really excited about this one and is probably hoping to take my mom's Jeep for an off-roading adventure.
6. Pedicure - getting one tomorrow mostly because I want cute toes and someone to rub my feet. But if they can press the right spots and help labor start, I'm not complaining!



No comments:

Post a Comment