Wednesday, January 23, 2013

false alarms and true progress

After a rough start to our weekend, Seth and I actually made a dent in baby room/front closet/laundry room cabinet/kitchen organization!

We were both a little anxious on Friday afternoon - I decided to call my OB because little miss Avery was not dancing around as much as she normally does and I was having some cramping going on. After a trip to the OB office and an ultrasound, Avery was doing great - just, ya know, sitting on mommy's cervix and playing with her toes. Even though she was doing great, I was still sent to the hospital for some monitoring due to the cramping I had been feeling - a few hours later, I was cleared to go and everything is just fine with both of us (Mommy and Avery gave daddy a pretty good scare though!). Even though I was anxious to get cleared to go home (once at the hospital, it was pretty clear that everything was ok), I was even more anxious to keep my dinner date with Ashley and little Jack - Ethiopian food, who could pass that up? 

Saturday after work, Seth picked up the dresser and crib for Avery's room and the glider came in today (yay yay yay yay!). We are planning on getting the carpet cleaned soon (hopefully this weekend) so once that is done, we can start building baby furniture!!

Sunday was pretty busy - we pretty much destroyed our house while organizing. While I went out grocery and baby shopping (more on that in a bit), Seth worked on clearing out Avery's room, which has become a catch-all once again...oops. After buying a storage bin, we were able to move my book collection out of the room, and using a few cheapo laundry baskets, we were able to organize sheets, purses, wrapping paper and craft supplies into the top of the front closet (which also serves as Seth's closet now). 

Since we have moved the bookcase into the kitchen, I have been dying to make it look cute, but still be functional, and I got to do just that on Saturday (DIY post coming soon). This little project of mine not only spruced up our kitchen a bit, but cleared off counters and freed up an entire cabinet in the laundry room!
We have been so excited to start organizing Avery's room, and our first project was to wash the clothes that we already have for her and hang them in her closet. I cleaned my washer first to get the gunk out (1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup Simple Green, poured into washer, washer set on hot and let go through a cycle - and voila! shiny washer) before putting her cute clothes in there. We separated her clothes (darks, lights, whites) and got to washing! The laundry detergent that we picked up last weekend (and blogged about the deal we got in this post) has a lovely clean scent (but not too strong of course, safe for new baby skin). Hanging up her clothes really made us realize that she's so close to being with us, we just can't wait to see her little face!

Last, but definitely not least, I would like to share what I picked up on my little solo shopping trip! There are so many things that I want to make Avery's room perfect, if only I could get them all! I went to Target first...and...for the first time ever...it was a bust. I was so disappointed. But Home Goods and TJ Maxx were right across the street so I still had some hope. 

Those 2 stores make me wish I could just swoop in and take what I wanted - every time I go in, I find like, 9,345,754,789 things that I want to get. 

My mission yesterday was to find a crib mattress (which we will probably end up ordering, I didn't come home with one), a storage ottoman (for blankets and to save some moula as the glider ottoman is a little pricey), a nightstand (with drawer and shelf for under the window/next to the glider), a lamp, and a rug. I only came home with 2 of these items, but I'm so excited about them!

First, some insight into our view for baby's room: we are not into matchy-matchy baby themes or jungle animals, or any of the really baby-esque designs out there. Or a lot of pink. We just want a relaxing space that we can enjoy - baby don't really give a shit what her room looks like, I'm sure - and that we will be proud to show off. Our theme (if you can call it that) is slightly eclectic - mixed patterns (chevron!!) and colors that are different yet still compliment one another. I think we are on the right track so far: soft seafoam walls, black furniture, taupe and white linen glider, light pink, peach and white accents. Ahhh, dreamy. 

So here is what I purchased: 


 Mercury glass lamp (on the right): $20 at TJ Maxx - we are both in love with this lamp - it adds a perfect element of shiny-chic that we need. 



White and peachy-pink chevron print rug: $15 at Home Goods - a subtle print for the floor that will go nicely with her blankie (thicker chevron gray and white). 


If there's one thing I love to do, its shop, and I hope to do more of it soon. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment